When the .22 Was Easy to Find

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by Thomas, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

How many rounds did you put through your .22s when the ammo was easier to get? For those of you who still find it easy to get, the question would be the same. I used to put at least 550 down range per visit. Considering a box of 550 was less than 20 bucks at the time, it wasn't very costly.
  2. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Beginner Shooter

I used to blow through a bit of ammo when I was in college: .22, 20guage, 12ga, 9mm, whatever we had. I haven't thrown more than 20 or 30 rounds through my .22 in the last couple years though, and that was just at groundhogs in the back yard.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Is that because you don't like to shoot it much anymore, or you can't find ammo?
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Since entering adulthood, I haven't been a huge fan of rimfires. However the Mrs and I used to spend many a pleasant afternoon plinking away with her .22s. I don't know about round count, but we went through plenty of "bricks."

One thing is for sure, I never saw a .22 shortage coming. Other calibers, maybe, but this was a little surprising.
    antoinebugleboy likes this.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I still think the shortage is now; at least somewhat, intentional. Until people stop paying an inflated cost, it won't change. I hope I am mistaken.
  6. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I haven't fired any of our .22's in over a year. Like some of the others I never expected a shortage on .22's so I didn't have a large stockpile of those. Now I am afraid to shoot what we do have because I can't replace them.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

There seems to be something suspicious about the .22 shortage. 9mm is easy to purchase now, as are most other calibers; yet .22 remains elusive. Granted, higher quantities are needed; but it still seems fishy. I think someone is manipulating the market.
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I'm normally very skeptical about conspiracies and such. However, I'll admit, its pretty odd that .22LR is still hard to find at decent prices. Goodness know, I wish I had bought a pallet-load before the craziness. ;)
  9. antoinebugleboy

antoinebugleboy Rookie Shooter

I saw a box of Remington Thunderbolts a while ago, and felt like I found a pot of gold!

[​IMG]

I bought it immediately (limited to 1 per customer), and have yet to fire any of them. Unfortunately, from what I hear, they're not exactly the best ammo in the market.
  10. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I remember when you get could a "brick" (500 rounds+) for sub-$10 and it was available everywhere. That wasn't all that long ago either. I reckon that is why its called the good old days. ;)