What kind of work have you guys done?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Thomas, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Other then complete detail strips of my 1911s, I have not done much work on my guns. I did file down my front sights once, and I smoothed out some screw holes on one of my Colts. Anyone here have any amateur gunsmith stories?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Nothing major here either. I started to file down the trigger/sear on my 10/22 at one point while following a youtube video, then got scared and stopped. Other than that I've filed a couple stocks down to fit receivers, and I had to do lots of bending of parts on my Dominion Arms Grizzly Mag when I first got it. The forend wouldn't lock into place with a round chambered when I first got it. I had to bend the little tab thing that sticks up on the trigger assembly and the action rails so they meet properly to remedy it.

Just minor things.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Yeah, I generally avoid messing with anything involving the trigger mechanism, with the exception of springs. Even changing the springs can effect your trigger pull if you don't get the right weight. Several people at the local range have seen their pistols go into fully automatic mode because of a botched trigger job. I would rather fork over the dough to have a professional do it.
  4. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I haven't done much but put a bullpup encasement on a mossberg 500 and i could barely do that. I want to figure out how to make the barrel longer and thicker on a smith governor.
  5. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I have heard about people's guns going full auto on them too. Anything in the trigger area i don't mess with. If you screw up something it can be dangerous. What if i screw up the reliability of my gun and i need it to fire to save someone and it doesn't. lol