What are your favorite hand guns?

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by Thomas, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

What do you all consider your absolute favorite hand guns, either specific models, or specific brands of said model?
    For me, it's the 1911-I consider the model to be the most versatile and ergonomic.
    My favorite brands are Wilson and Ed Brown, along with some custom smiths who modify existing models. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Colt.
    Other brands which I have owned and sold, or just shot and liked are: Nighthawk, STI and Springfield.
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I don't know a lot about pistols since I don't own any yet . I have fired the following though:

- Old Browning Hi Power
    - Glock 9mm
    - Beretta 9mm
    - Ruger .40 (think it was Ruger, not sure though)

I did do a fairly in-depth project/presentation on the H&K USP though and the torture testing it survived amazed the hell out of me. If/when I buy a pistol, it will likely be the H&K USP or the Sig P220 due to the good reputation of both. I'd really have to play with both in person before I decide.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Those are both good choices Amdac. You can always go to a store and examine them, perhaps shoot them at some stores. Some people really don't like H&K triggers, and some people don't like the Sig's weight. It's all a matter of preference, but you can't go wrong with either.
  4. Scottie

Scottie Rookie Shooter

Glock 23 .40: Good thing, its my primary too. Best combination of power, size, reliability, ease of care, and toughness. One gun that can do all jobs well. Also, it points like no other handgun and looks gorgeous. A true classic. All in all it is the best gun to to own !
  5. MrLuke

MrLuke Rookie Shooter

I have quite a few favorites.
    My favorite historical handgun has to be the 1911. It's slick design, state-of-the-art safety mechanism and punchy .45 caliber makes it one hell of a gun to deal with, and a bloody nice one at that.
    The best looking handgun has to be any long barreled revolver with a black finish. I don't know what it is about these guns, but I just want to cry when I see one. They are absolutely gorgeous pieces of art, and serve one hell of a punch too.
    In my opinion, the handgun that serves its purpose the most is the glock. A rapid, reliable and smart looking pistol, the Glock lays waste to any enemies, intruders and bad guys in movies.
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I've shot a lot of handguns over the years. I've strayed and I've played, but I always come back to the M1911A1 in .45ACP. It just fits my hand so well and its a proven, capable platform.
  7. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Simple answer, the German Luger pistol, I love its recoil and how it feels in my hand, not to mention it's stopping power and accuracy.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

The Luger is a pretty complicated platform. I have seen several with reliability problems, but you never know how they were taken care of,
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

True that. The few Lugers I've played with were very finicky about their ammunition too. Once you found the load that cycled on that particular Luger, you were good to go, but it took some trying.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I was never really into them personally. I do like the Walther P38 though; it has a pretty good trigger pull in single action mode, and I have found it reliable.
  11. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I've got a Walther P1 (post-war version of the P38) and its a decent shooter. The double-action trigger pull leaves something to be desired, but agreed, the single action one is nice and crisp.
  12. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

The P-1 was always very reliable too. My only problem with the gun, was the mag release. I can't imagine how many soldiers got killed trying to reload the weapon from the bottom of the frame!
  13. -Robert12345

-Robert12345 Rookie Shooter

Definitely the M1911
  14. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

True that. I've never liked the European-style magazine release. I noticed starting in the 80s, that type even started to fade away in Europe too.
  15. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

The European mag release has to be one of the worst designs. All hail to Robert12345 for liking my favorite gun!
  16. 96grandsport

96grandsport Rookie Shooter

Ditto on vintage Walthers. P-1's, and PP's are gorgeous firearms, and shoot straight as arrows. In addition, you can obtain vintage ones or even GI bring-backs for a relatively affordable price.
  17. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

True that on the P-1. Back when they were dumped on the C&R market, I picked one up for a song ($300ish). I don't know if they are that price point anymore, but I still see them from time to time in my travels.
  18. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

They are actually still pretty cheap GearZ. I saw one the other day for 325.00. It was in pretty good condition, but it did only come with 1 mag.
  19. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

That's not bad, considering how little three C-notes will buy these days. I've had good luck with the Pro-Mag aftermarkets. I know that company's product line is spotty, but the Walther mags run fine in my experience.
  20. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I never had any trouble with the mags that came with the gun (when I had it). The gun was pretty accurate, and the single action trigger is not too bad.