Teaching Kids about Guns

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rhoda DEttore, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Rhoda DEttore

Rhoda DEttore Rookie Shooter

My father was an officer, and he taught us kids at an early age to appreciate and respect weapons. We knew they were not toys, and they were off limits. He passed away before I got old enough for him to teach me how to shoot. But still, I had the knowledge and respect.

Do you think it is good or bad to inform and instruct kids about guns? Do you educate your kids on them?
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I grew up in a remote rural area and was taught safe gun handling from an early age. I was given a BB gun at the age of five and the rules of safe handling were posted near my bed. Later as a teenage I graduated to a .22LR and finally a single-shot 12-gauge. I also went to hunter safety class. The same for all of that was true for my siblings (four brothers, one sister).

My little girl is too little to learn about firearms now, but I intend to teach her when old enough, and supplement said with courses that fit her interest (e.g., hunting, clays, etc.). If available, we'll have her attend the Eddie the Eagle safety program when a little one too.
  3. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I have a five and a three year old and they both know gun safety that is appropriate for their age. They also know that guns are not toys and that they are never to touch them without myself or my husband being present. As they get older there will be more instruction.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Good call, ally79. At that age, the "don't touch, leave, tell a grown up" plan is best. Us responsible gun owners have a mandate to keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't touch them. That goes doubly for our little people.
  5. SS42A

SS42A Beginner Shooter

Minors must learn the basic rules of gun safety while at a very young age, especially when the parents' professions require them to handle guns. Parents must closely supervise their kids when handling guns. Aside from teaching kids the most basic of gun safety rules, they must also be taught that a responsible gun user can save the lives of people around him. If the parents have guns, they must educate their child that at some point in his life, he will have to learn to handle a weapon, especially in life-or-death situations.
  6. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

My 3 year old has been particularly inquisitive lately, so we have started doing some daily hands on lessons with them and both of the kids are doing really well. Of course my three year old wants to take it out and really shoot, not happening, so he is getting his first Red Ryder BB gun (the really small one, Buck maybe?) for Christmas. I can't wait until he opens it!
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The Red Ryder BB gun was my first "gun". I received it at the tender age of five and thought it was way cool. My father used it to instruct me at an early age to safely handle firearms and the principles of marksmanship.