Swords

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by RedNeckJiuJitsu, Dec 17, 2013.

1. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Beginner Shooter

Any sword collectors or fans in here? While I love my guns, swords have a special place in my heart as well. I've got 6, I think, and can post pictures if there's interest. I'd like to get a nice European broadsword, as what I mainly have are Asian style swords, but it seems that broadswords are a lot more expensive when you can find them.
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I currently only have two, a full size katana and a tanto. The katana is full tang and differentially tempered, and cost about $400 at the time. The tanto is folded swiss steel and retails for about $800.

I had plans of getting a folded katana as well and hopefully will one day.

EDIT: Just found the sword from the store I actually bought it from. I'm not sure which it is between these two:
    http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2590
    http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=907
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Beginner Shooter

Very nice. I have 2 katanas hanging on my living room wall. One I got at a garage sale for $10 (the guy was asking $15 for it and $10 for another, but gave both to me and my buddy for $20). The other I got at another sale for like $5, but it's not in as good of shape. Whoever had it before tried to sharpen it and ended up making it look kinda nasty.
    The one "ninja" sword I got off Amazon for like $25 and I use it to prune the multaflora rose and trees along the creek bank.
  4. MrLuke

MrLuke Rookie Shooter

The best swords come from Cold Steel. It's a company (that many of you should know) and they create the BEST melee weapons. I think my favorite is the Gladius, which is a sword originally used by the ancient Romans. I perfect stabbing tool, and in the right hands with a shield is a deadly combination.

Katana's don't catch my liking at all. A display piece, yes, but for fighting? No way. I would rather use a Rapier, as it is easy to use and lightweight. I think my favorite would be the Rapier.
  5. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure you can classify a budget blade company as the "best" there is, when you have options like these $25,000 folded japanese katanas out there: http://www.jidai.jp/kanekuni.asp ;)
  6. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I love swords, I have a Roman Spatha and Gladius, a Katana, a no-Daichi Katana and a ninjetta.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I'm not a big blade fan, but I wouldn't turn my nose up to a nicely constructed Katana. Not the cheapo junk, but an actual solidly made one would be very nice indeed.
  8. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Yup the two katanas I have are razor sharp I mean you could drop a hair on them and they will be sliced in two. They cost me a small fortune though hehe.
  9. skywatcher

skywatcher Rookie Shooter

I'm into swords! Swords were my first major love before I got into guns. I didn't have the money to buy swords, though, since they go rare in these parts of where I am. I do like to collect toy swords and customize them, though, but mostly I try to modify sturdy bamboo sticks into makeshift katanas and swords. My friends and I frequently get into "makeshift sword sparring" during get-togethers, and we conduct "tournaments" sometimes, haha.
  10. Oogles

Oogles Rookie Shooter

My grandfather used to have these twin Katanas hanging in the living room when I was young. I was always fascinated by them and so I kept the swords after he died, too bad my mother didn't like having the swords and gave them away. But now I'm considering purchasing another Katana. Japanese swords will always hold a special place in my heart, I guess.
  11. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

On a related note, who here has experience with fencing, arnis or aikido?

Being from the Philippines, we were taught arnis back in college. We used batons, but the instructor said that swords were used in the olden days when people just straight up killed one another. What was mostly taught to us was how to disarm an attacker; it usually ended up with you holding his stick (heh) and giving him a final strike.