Playing the quiet game ...

Discussion in 'Weapon Attachments' started by GearZ, May 8, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Well, I've had a bug in a my bonnet for quite some time to get into the world of silencers (suppressors). They are legal in most states, including mine, but are tightly regulated at the federal level.

For those unfamiliar with the process, it requires one to fill out a Form 4 in duplicate, finger print cards in duplicate, get your chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) to sign off on the application, submit a $200 tax, and then wait between 6-12 months for the ATF to review the application. Once approved, you can then pickup said silencers, after the customary form 4473. Annoying? Yup.

Anyway, to avoid some of that (fingerprints, CLEO sign off are biggies), one can form a trust that holds the items. So, that's what I did. The forms came back from my lawyer to me on Tuesday, I had them notarized, and I'm ready to roll. If things are quiet at the office tomorrow, I plan on visiting the local Class III dealer and pick out a couple cans. Anyway, its been a long process and I've got a way to go, but we're on to the fun part of selecting the silencers. Well, that and the not so fun waiting for a approval. If anyone is interested, I'll post how it goes.

P.S. If anyone is interested in NFA items (silencers, short-barrel shotguns/rifles, AOWs, etc.), the Trust route, at least for now, is a nice option to cut down on the redtape. It cost me very little to setup in this state and I'd reckon it wouldn't be too bad elsewhere.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Sorry for the double post, but on Friday I took care of all the paperwork for a Tactical Solutions Cascade silencer. Its for the .22LR and looks like:

[​IMG]

Now I just have to wait 8-12 months for approval. ;)

P.S. On tap next is a centerfire handgun can. The dealer only had one, a 9mm, and it was not only fricking huge, it was out of my budget. So the search continues.
  3. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

Nice, what gun is that .22 silencer for? I am just curious :).
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

It will work on many .22s. I plan on using it primarily on a Walther P22 and an Intratec Tec-22. I might get a threaded barrel for a 10/22 to run it on that too.
  5. Philosophydaddy

I looked them up and that Tec-22 looks freakin sweet. Is it fun to shoot? What caliber of centerfire suppressor are you looking for?
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I don't have the Tec-22 yet as I just bought it off Gunbroker and its in route to my FFL. I've read the quality is so-so, but at the rate I was able to obtain one, I reckon it will be a fun plinker. Since its already threaded it can wear a can. Even if it turns out to be a "beater", being able to plink, suppressed, with a 25-30 round mag has to be fun.

As to the centerfire suppressor, I think I'll go 9mm. If I can find a decent .45 can, I'll go that route because I can use it on .45, .40 and 9mm. Most of the ones I've seen, with a few notable exceptions, are freak'n huge though. I'd like to go with the smaller suppressors. As we've got a couple hosts, and a third that could be converted to nine, the smaller bore ones should work.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Sorry for the double post. Well, I picked up the Tec-22. Eh, its already a PITA. It jammed a bit and the magazine catch broke. Oh well, it cost very little and the P22 still runs like a top.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I never understood the desire to have a silencer personally, but I do believe they also aid in recoil reduction.
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

They do indeed cut down on recoil some. It does remove a lot of muzzle flash and, naturally, reduces the sound.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I have a compensated 1911, and the recoil is reduced about 30% or so. Compensators tend to run quite a bit less than silencers too : )
  11. Philosophydaddy

Are compensators in the same class as silencers in terms of restricted Class III stuff?
  12. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Nope. They can be bought directly with no paperwork, tax, and related hassle. They don't reduce the sound, of course, but they can reduce the felt recoil. I ran one on a Glock for a while and found it helpful for a relatively heavy caliber (.40S&W) in a small package (G27). IIRC, I had one for the 1911 years back, but don't have it any more and forget why I removed it.
  13. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

They do tend to get dirty when using unclean powder. When I shot mine, I had to spend a lot of time flushing out all the crap.
  14. ami4041

ami4041 Rookie Shooter

I'm curious. What you you want to get a silencer for? Their purpose is to make your kills sneaky, so I can see why the military might want them. But a civilian? Could you elaborate?
  15. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

&ami4041 It does reduce muzzle flip a bit. If you're trying to hold super tight groups, a silence or compensator does help.
  16. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Lots of reasons:
    • Some cans allow you to shoot without clunky hearing protection.
    • Reduced muzzle flip.
    • Less noise pollution.
    • Hunting without hearing damage.
    • They're fun. :D