One Rifle I Have Always Wanted is an M1 Garand

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Thomas, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Does anyone here own one? Wanna sell it? :D
    The M1 has always been on my "to get" list. I love the look of the gun; the history, and the calibers it is available in. A gentleman at the range today had one. It actually scared me a couple times when the gun ejected the magazine (or clip?) His was chambered in .308, and shot very well at 200 yards.
  2. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Rookie Shooter

I want one too. They're soooo awesome, I've seen one they have on display at a local gun shop but obviously they're a little on the expensive side. :( I was a huge history buff when I was younger and I just loved the differences in weapons/uniforms between countries.. I always preferred German weapons/uniforms/armor, but the M1 Garand was my favorite rifle. :p
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

The Garand is part of American history (and probably many other countries as well). My grandpa used to tell me stories about the war. Apparently, the Nazi soldiers caught on to the fact that the rifle ejected the magazine after the last shot. The enemy soldiers were charge at that moment, and catch the American troops while they were reloading.

My grandpa's unit figured out a solution. They hid behind rocks, and half of them fired off almost all there rounds. The remaining soldiers threw spare magazines on the rocks, giving the impression that a bunch of their soldiers were empty. When the Germans charged, half of the Americans still had full magazines left in their rifles.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Agreed, there is just something about the classic lines of an M1 Garand. Its one of a handful of guns I really kick myself for not picking up when they were cheap and plentiful. The M1 Carbine is another.

A while back, there was going to be a ton of M1 Garands and Carbines reimported from South Korea, but an Executive Order prevented it. :(
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

That is a shame indeed. My Grandpa had a chance to take home a Tommy Gun when he was nearing the end of his tour in Europe. He elected not to, figuring he'd have trouble getting it back to America (but this was before fully autos were regulated a lot). The guy that offered him the gun shrugged, and threw it in the water.
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Part of me just died reading that. :(

In all seriousness, beyond the fact a classic like the Thompson met a watery grave, if that subgun had been brought back and amnesty registered, its value would be north of $20K right now.
  7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Rookie Shooter

Haha I've actually heard of that before! It's little stories like that that always kept me interested in history. Albeit I've grown out of it a little I still occasionally harken back to the days of when I would watch hours upon hours of the History/Military Channel (Sadly the History channel seems to have turned into the train/alien channel lols).
  8. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

The M1 Garand is one of my favorite rifles of all time as far as automatic and semi-automatic rifles go that is, I'm more a sniper fan myself, but I loved the M1, I have handled one only twice, but I love how accurate it can be at short to mid ranges, to be accurate at long range is a bit more difficult but, I think the power it has and the range of caliber bullets it can use, makes it just that much more attractive.
  9. lolinternets125

lolinternets125 Rookie Shooter

I purchased one a few years ago. It's an awesome gun, but it is brutally heavy to lug around. I imagined I'd use it for hunting, but no way. The block clips are a bit annoying as well. I think the Garand is nice to have for plinking and nostalgia purposes.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Nothing beats a classic! I fired on in 308 and was easily clinking the 200 yard spinner targets. Time has been kind to this design.
  11. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Rookie Shooter

I had a M1 Garand that I got from my Dad. That thing was a beast! I got rid of it although I wish I had keep it, a very nice weapon.
  12. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Regarding the Garand, they used to be a dime a dozen. I really wished I picked one up before values exploded in the 2000s. Live and learn, I guess.
  13. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Why did you get rid of your M1 Garand? Did the gun develop issues later on? I only saw that thing once on Top Shot and it shot well.
  14. Charity

Charity Rookie Shooter

I have a Garand that saw action in Korea. However, it is a heavy gun and one that I love dearly. It still has the rub marks from where it was used in combat on the butt stock.
  15. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Do you have a picture of it? It would be nice to see what your Garand looks like on here if you have a pic of it.