My New Robinson Armament XCR-L KeyMod

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Amdac, May 6, 2014.

1. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

After a long and painful 4-5 days of waiting, it has finally arrived on my doorstep. My new Robinson Armament XCR-L KeyMod/Light version in 5.56mm. This is the 2014 model which is geared around reducing front end weight and has a new bolt/piston design. From playing with it for the last hour with a huge smile on my face, I'm officially in love with this thing. I told my wife that I have a second wife now and it might be joining us in the bed.

I've slapped on my (also new) Vortex SPARC II which is a brand new release.

I'll hopefully be testing it out this weekend if my crate of ammo arrives in time and I'll get some more pics slapped up of it in action.

xcr.jpg

xcr2.jpg
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Daaaa-amn! Nice rifle. The side folding stock looks slick.

How is the Vortex SPARC II or have you not had a chance to give it a spin yet?
  3. Amdac

I'm taking it out for the first time on sunday. So far from playing around with it pointing at everything in my house, it's awesome. :D
  4. Amdac

Gave it a test run today and put 90 rounds through it. I did have a couple double feeds but that's only when trying to turn the gas setting down to 3. It ran flawlessly at gas setting 4 but it should have been set to 4 anyways during the break in period.

The gun is awesome, the sight is awesome, I'm a happy camper. :D

xcr3.jpg
  5. Amdac

Added a better picture taken today. The last one tends to make the barrel look a lot longer than it actually is due to the angle.

The magazine(s) might look weird because of Canadian laws. It's two 10 round LAR-15 mags coupled together.

xcr1b.jpg
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Slick looking rifle. Out of curiosity, is there some kind of magazine capacity limit up North? A few states here have mag cap laws, but, fortunately, I'm not in one.
  7. Amdac

Semi-auto centerfire rifles are generally capped to 5 rounds and pistols are capped to 10 rounds. However, since our laws are absolutely retarded, it's actually the magazine that has that restriction, not the firearm. That means we can put a pistol magazine with 10 rounds into a rifle and it's perfectly legal. This is why LAR-15 mags are so common here. They're designed for a pistol but fit in any rifle that takes AR style mags. I don't mind too much since it takes about 1.5 seconds to flip it around and put it back in for 10 more rounds.

I carry the paperwork explaining the weird laws with me for when we run into cops like we did today. By "we", I mean myself and Slacktrack. We had two cops roll in with AR's to kick us out of the forest we've been shooting in for 2 years because they just recently banned firearms from it. Slacktrack shed a few tears and now we have to find a new place to shoot. :(
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Ugh. And I thought the laws here were retarded. Well, actually, they are, but in a different way. Shotgun barrel length is a spectacular example of said, but I digress. Back to the sweet carbine, though not as easy as a regular STANAG 30-rounder, the quick flip 20-shot rig isn't bad at all.

I know what you mean about carrying copies of papers. Here, generally, you won't get hassled on most regular guns. However, some states its a good idea to travel with a copy of the federal Firearm Owners Protection ACT (FOPA). That and anything Title II should be carried with a photocopy of an approved Form 1/4 or you'll likely get some serious heat.
  9. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

That is an exceptionally sweet rifle man. How did that Vortex SPARC II work out with it? Also sorry about your shooting spot. That really sucks *** :(
  10. Amdac

I love the SPARC II. I've never tried an Aimpoint to compare it to, but it seems pretty much perfect for what I'm using it for.
  11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

That is a great rifle from Robinson Armament I thought it looks like the FN-Scar assault rifle. I see one of the pics you have a box magazine that's rectangular is that a 20 round magazine?
  12. Amdac

Nope, it's two 10 round magazines due to Canadian laws. I explained why here:

It's two 10 round magazines coupled together so it can be flipped around quickly for 10 more rounds.
  13. Profit5500

Yeah California had an assault rifle ban years ago and then that did not work so well. However you cannot have anything above 10 rounds in the magazine either so you would not look like your some sort of bad guy. Regardless of that you can walk around and open carry, but be prepared to be harassed by the police.
  14. saskcop

saskcop Rookie Shooter

Where did you get that XCR? I am looking at adding a 5.56 XCR to my collection. I already have an XCR-M in .308 and love it.
  15. Amdac

Mine came from Wanstalls, mainly because Wolverine was out of stock at the time. Although, now that I think about it most of my online firearm purchases have come from Wanstalls.
  16. Profit5500

Is Wanstalls the company that sells firearms? If they are I never heard of them. Are you still using that Robinson Arms XCR weapon?
  17. Amdac

Wanstalls is one of the Canadian providers: www.wanstallsonline.com

And yes, I use my XCR quite often. :D It's the one firearm I take on almost every shooting day. I'm mainly just trying to put as many rounds through it as possible to ensure it's reliability in case the world ends. That, and it's extremely fun to shoot.
  18. Profit5500

Okay cool that is great you guys have an exclusive site for your needs. At least then you would be able to find what you need in a hurry.