Modern Pistol Designs

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by Thomas, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

There are many fine quality pistols coming out these days. Reliability can be achieved without much expense, and almost every gun on the market has acceptable accuracy. My problem has been, I have not found anything very unique about designs coming out recently. Perhaps all the ideas have already been spent. What do you guys think?
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Its a good question. As a technology goes, handguns have reached a level of maturity that we're well beyond the refinement stage. Pistols have gotten smaller, lighter, more reliable, easier to produce, and hold more cartridges than ever. However, a great leap forward in the technology? Its hard to imagine.

There will likely be some more development in the PDW world, but as most are select-fire, it won't impact the civilian market. With all the ballistic overlap in the current line up, its unlikely some whiz-bang new cartridge is coming out soon. Caseless ammunition never really became a reality and the working systems didn't offer much advantage over conventional designs.

I reckon we all just have to wait for Ray Guns to finally make an appearance. Not likely, but a guy can dream. ;)
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Hey, someday we will have those ray guns : ) I think we already have enough cartridges to get pretty much any job done. We have the .45 and .40 for man stoppers; the .38 Super, 10mm and .357 SIG for shooting through barriers etc. etc.
  4. -Robert12345

-Robert12345 Rookie Shooter

I like the design of a lot of modern Pistols, they're really nice in my opinion.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I don't see anything "wrong" with modern pistol designs. Many of them seem to be cookie cutter though.
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

True that. There are a lot of mass produced "plastic fantastic" pistols these day. Don't get me wrong, some are very nicely designed (Glock, Springfield XD, et al.) and I carry a couple of them. But they are still pretty cookie cutter.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I do like the XD design, but it really is part of the same old thing. CZ is a brand I'd like to get into. I prefer metal guns myself.
  8. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I feel the same way. Maybe you should get someone to design you a non production pistol.
  9. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

They're sketchy and unreliable if you ask me. I only stick with the old simple revolvers. My generations guns are too confusing and unreliable. Then the one in the chamber & shooting without a magazine in it thing makes women not want it in the house.
  10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Have you seen the Arsenal Defense 7 pistol? It takes the original design of the Colt 1911 to different heights. I really like the design truly is a masterpiece. Even the magazine looked unique.
  11. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Taking the original design of the Colt 1911 to new levels? That is a BOLD claim my friend; I will have to check it out.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I am not kidding around it does look amazing and fires good too. I think Arsenal Defense has some other guns too. I was just stoked seeing the Arsenal Defense 7 gun.
  13. PvtParts

PvtParts Rookie Shooter

What do you guys mean exactly when you say modern designs strike you as cookie-cutter? Do you think they're ugly? Or just not fantastic? Or has it anything to do with their performance?