If you Didn't Own a Gun...

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Thomas, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

If you didn't own a gun, what would you use for protection? What might you use as an alternative for your gun (even if you own a gun)? I would probably use a taser in some situations, if the person attacking me was unarmed. I think pepper spray is a good way to defend yourself; should you not wish to cause serious harm, but some people are not effected as drastically.
  2. WeDontSleep

WeDontSleep Rookie Shooter

I would probably use pepper spray too, it's my second best option. If I lived in a country where having a gun for self defense was illegal (most European countries), I would probably take a self defense course... or just learn to run really fast :D
    Pepper spray doesn't always work on drunk people, also those who are high on pcp, they just don't care about pain.
  3. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I would probably just use my Boken, and if I didn't have that I'd more than likely pick up the closest fork or spade.
  4. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

I own a bow and a number of knives. A good crossbow is useful. Telescoping batons are useful, and canes or walking sticks can be very useful, Bat Masterson was known to be skilled at using a cane. Quarter staffs are very good weapons, and I have been taught that the magna carta guarantees the right to carry one for protection. Some belts can be used as weapons. Basic self defense is easy to learn, and just knowing the basics can make a significant difference. A good ball-point pen can be deadly. Some jurisdictions have restrictions on tasers because criminals can use them for muggings or other criminal pursuits. Cattle prods are similar.
  5. dansmith

dansmith Rookie Shooter

I like the idea of the suppressing weapons like tasers and pepper spray since they won't kill the person, but they will incapacitate them. I personally like the classic KA-BAR or some other large field type knife, but I say that because if someone is going to break into my home and try to harm my family, I'm going to try and make sure they don't do it to anyone else, but that's me.
    thomas pendrake likes this.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Hmmmm. Good suggestions here; I was going to say a flame thrower or hand grenade, but pepper spray and tasers work too! A crossbow? Never thought of that one.
  7. skywatcher

skywatcher Rookie Shooter

I have a taser and a bamboo sword at home, but when I panic, I might resort to the plethora of knives we have in the kitchen. Seriously, we have too many knives that I think a lot of them I could use as makeshift throwing knives and they wouldn't even notice. Then again, when we eat, a lot of us actually use knives, so I guess we can call that quits, haha. But aside from these, we don't have a lot of things to protect us with.
  8. -Robert12345

-Robert12345 Rookie Shooter

Either a knife, taser or pepper spray.
  9. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

From what I've read, a knife just escalates the situation and really isn't recommended for self defense. It's more of a tool anyway; if you wanted to cut a person, you *should* use a sword (but who carries a sword around these days :D). For defense, you want to keep the attacker as far away from your body as possible, so without projectile weapons, a pike or spear is ideal. If you don't feel like lugging a spear around, I would personally use (depending on legality) a collapsible baton. It's small and portable, looks and sounds scary when it's about to be used on you, and it's easy to use and easy to conceal.
  10. thomas pendrake

Some people are not sensitive to capsaicin and are unaffected by pepper spray. My oldest son can eat a handful of tabasco peppers, and eats datil peppers with no effect other than pleasure since he only tastes the delightful fruity flavor. Give him a can of pepper spray and he will spry it directly int his mouth.
  11. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

... That doesn't sound safe. Doesn't pepper spray include a lot of other irritants?
  12. SS42A

SS42A Beginner Shooter

I have a fan knife, but I am keeping it in storage at home and would not use the same as much as possible. At the same time, I am also studying martial arts in order to prepare myself for any emergencies that may arise. All of these preparations are only secondary and as much as possible, I want to avoid such confrontations. I would prefer not to carry my knife too, since I have self-defense training as a precaution.

Come to think of it, a friend of mine in martial arts class told me and another classmate of mine that he nearly got himself in a road rage. The hostile party wanted to bully my friend, but he knows that if he fights back, he will get himself in trouble. The bully was threatening my friend as well, as he was carrying a gun, or pretending to carry one. But my friend knew that he was faced with several situations and consequences had he fought back. In the end he let the incident slide. He was lucky to get out alive, though he felt regret when he did not use the martial arts training that he received. But me and my other classmate said that he was fortunate to get out alive without using martial arts, as that should always be the last and unavoidable answer to any problem.
  13. Determined2014

Determined2014 Rookie Shooter

I tend to carry a stone , when I am not armed, I believe it is very handy, as long as it is a good sized stone , that you can use to hit an attacker in the face with it, you will have enough time to get away.
  14. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

If you mean just protection in general i'd just fight. I usually have a tow truck chain with me at all times. If you mean against the possibility of weapons being involved if i didnt have firearms i'd use tasers and at home i'd just have alot of dogs. A good baseball bat or something at home is a must.
  15. Toasty95

Toasty95 Rookie Shooter

I can't carry yet in Konnektikut, so I carry my Buck folding knife on me and my 8" Harbor Freight survival knife and maglite in my car.
  16. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

If I did not own a gun for protection I would go for a taser like the ones that shoot out the fishooks. I don't want to have a knife on me I would have pepper spray at the ready.
  17. thomas pendrake

not usually. tear gas may be different.
  18. Profit5500

I don't think it does have irritants in it. Pepper spray can really burn your eyes out though. I have seen a few cases where there are people who have been sprayed by the police and still kept fighting.
  19. thomas pendrake

Irritants are why it butns your eyes and skin. some people are not sensitive toCapsicain , or less sensitive. These people are not as sensitive to pepper spray and may be essentially unaffected by the spray. That is why pepper spray may not always provide protection or be useful as a weapon.
  20. Profit5500

I kind of thought so but I would love to use a tazer stungun like the ones that law enforcement use. Pepper spray burning your eyes is not going to get me safe away from a person with a resistance to the can of mace. I rather just try to get my permit and try to get a tazer for protection.