Hunting shotguns

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by AresBlade, Sep 30, 2014.

1. AresBlade

AresBlade Rookie Shooter

Looking for your collections of hunting weapons. I don't think we can have a firearms addicts forum without at least a little talk of hunting. Personally, I've got 3 hunting shotguns. Here's what I've got:

Cheapo Break-Action CIL 20ga that I was given as a child for those first rabbit and grouse hunts. It has remained in my collection all this time. I've taken countless birds and bunnies with it.

Remington 870 Express Magnum 12ga (camo stock) that I purchased out of high school. This gun has treated me very well, I've taken ducks, deer and turkeys with it.

Beretta Xtrema 2 12 ga that I just purchased last fall. I haven't used it much for hunting yet, but I wanted something that would shoot 3.5" shells for those Canada Geese and Snow Geese hunts, and I'm looking forward to really breaking her in.
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I'd say my scattergun battery is about 50/50 split between hunting and home-defense (HD). Of the hunting ones ...

[​IMG]

Top: Ithaca Mag-10 (Semi-Auto 10-Gauge)
    Middle: Stevens 511A (SxS 12-Gauge)
    Bottom: Stevens 39A (Bolt-action .410-Bore)

The 39A will be given to my daughter when she's big enough to shoot. :)
  3. AresBlade

AresBlade Rookie Shooter

Nice to see some of those 39A's still out there kicking around. A great gun for her to start out with. My father decided to start his boys directly with 22LRs and 20Ga rather than .410, but with the smaller frame of a little girl I think that's a great idea.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

True that. The fact the 39A dates to the mid-40s and is still kicking is a testament to the craftsmanship of the era.

Of those shown, I'd have to say the Ithaca is my favorite, though I have a soft-spot for that old beater of a 511A. It was the first smooth-bore I bought after getting married and I've gone out in the woods and wetlands with it more times than I can remember. :)
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Wow a bolt action shotgun that is a first for me. I mean there are so many weapons out here its just amazing to learn some new designs everyday.
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Back in the day, and by "day" I mean like four decades ago, bolt-actions were more common. Most were utility guns for around the farm. Some, like the Marlin Super Goose in 10-gauge, were for long range water fowling. IIRC, the Marlin was pretty much the last one before American manufacturers finally gave up on the idea. I admit they are pretty niche, but I like the lil' .410 above and, if I could find one at the right price, I might be tempted by a Super Goose.