How to Purchase a Silencer

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GearZ, Jul 27, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The following is pretty funny and informative. Enjoy!

2. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Rookie Shooter

Are there any homemade silencers that work well, or are they all worthless?
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Good question. Before I answer that, note in the United States you need to file a Form 1, pay the tax, handle the related paperwork, and wait until it is approved. Approval wait times have gotten insanely long in recent memory (5-12 months) for paper forms. If you have an NFA Trust setup, you can file a Form 1 via eForms which is averaging more like a month.

As to homemade silencers, there is a small by thriving subcommunity of the NFA culture that does just that. Are they as good as factor built units? Some are pretty darn close as some hobbyists have the machine tools to build high-quality cans. Many are not, however, and are based on old wipe-based designs.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  4. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

My husband and I were talking about going the NFA Trust route to get one. Do you happen to know if you can add people to the trust later on down the line? Children, for example, once they are of age?
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Sorry for the late reply. Creating an NFA Trust is no biggie. I used a law firm in my region (Northwest) that produces them at very low cost. You can certainly amend a trust after the fact to include new trustees. Minor children, naturally, cannot possess NFA items, but they can be added as trustees once they reach the age of majority and/or can be listed as heirs.
    ally79 likes this.
  6. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

Thanks for your response and no worries on the delay...we can't do it until after our tax refund comes back anyway. :) We need to set up guardianship through a lawyer anyway in case something happens to my husband and I so I think we are going to go ahead and file the paperwork for this as well. We have a family friend who is an attorney and he has set up several NFA Trusts for other family members.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I am glad to help Ally79. Having a trust cuts down on some of the paperwork BS and has benefits with respect to can have access to the items. You can also use eForms if you want to paper new Title II items. I'm tempted to F1 a SxS to SBS format (leaning away from now) or a Skorpion to super tiny carbine SBR (really tempted).

Alas, it doesn't do anything for paper wait times. I've got a couple of NFA items (a .22LR silence and an AOW) still in a waiting pattern, but hopefully they'll be approved soon. Word is the turn around times are getting better, but it is cold comfort with one of mine headed toward the eleven month point. ;)
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I liked the video it brings back that old ads type of feeling LOL. Well for those who want to swing that way part made me ROFL. Well I need to find a job so I can save up those dollars to buy a suppressor.
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

haha, yah, I dug the retro-wackiness.

There are some affordable "cans" for the .22. The Cascade line made by Tactical Solutions in Idaho puts out a decent sealed suppressor. AAC's older, budget line in centerfires aren't terribly expensive either.
  10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

If I had mucho dinero I would go with getting the Tactical Solutions suppressor since it would not matter. However, I do not have the sufficient funds to cover that suppressor. If I could have one for a LH9 pistol then that would be good too.