How did you get interested in firearms?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by woot223, Nov 17, 2013.

1. woot223

woot223 Rookie Shooter

When did you realize that you want to get a gun and practice shooting? I was about 12 or 13 years old when I got to fire my first shotgun, it was some old Russian Izhevsk double barrel shotgun and I fell in love with it instantly. Got a pellet gun a few weeks afterwards and when I turned 18 I got a Sporting license and bought my very first handgun - CZ-75B.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  2. seagram

seagram Rookie Shooter

I grew up on a farm, and we had shotguns. When I got old enough to touch them, we used to play shotgun golf -- dig a hole out in the middle of the property, plop down a golf ball and shoot at it until it gets in the hole. Far less control than a golf club, but there are certain tricks to try and get it flying in the direction you want.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  3. LittleJustin

LittleJustin Rookie Shooter

I have an uncle who collects firearms and has a bunch of land so every thanksgiving the whole family would end up at his house and I'd get to shoot all kinds of guns. Unfortunately my parents are kind of anti-gun so no guns in my house. Once I graduated college and got my own place off campus(no firearms allowed on campus) I purchased my 9mm Beretta PX-4 and love every minute of it. Can't wait to buy more.
  4. deuce22

deuce22 Rookie Shooter

I grew up in a family that hunted every available moment. I had a BB gun at 5 and a .22 at 10. From there I graduated to my 30-30. Now that I'm in my own I have purchased my pistol, an XD 45, and shotgun, rem 870. Looking forward to expanding the collection, so many to choose from!
  5. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I actually never touched a gun until after I was married. My husband is a hunter and he has been shooting since he was about 8 years old. I learned everything I know from him, and now shooting is a sport that we enjoy together.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Rookie Shooter

For myself it was just something I felt I needed to do. There is no one in my immediate life who hunts or deals with guns regularly. I just found them interesting and something inside me wanted to learn more. It would have been nice to grow up hunting though.
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I too grew up with guns in the house. My dad has always been an avid gun owner, and used to take me to the range when I was very young. I clearly remember being handed a loaded pistol when I was 7 years old and being told "go shoot that target, I will watch to make sure you are being safe". On the way to the range, I would be drilled with a series of safety questions. If I failed to answer any of them, we turned around and went home.
    Horror stories about guns in the house can be found anywhere on the internet. The truth is, if parents took the responsibility to teach their kids about guns, there wouldn't be a problem. My brother and I always knew where loaded guns were in the house, yet we never had an accident. Why? My dad taught us about guns instead of creating a mystery. If we had a question, he would answer it and take us to the range to shoot.
  8. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

My military background got me interested. I've always wanted to own firearms but probably never would have if it weren't for my career. Now I mainly own them for home defense and target shooting out in the bush fairly regularly.

When I finally have kids I'll likely start them off fairly young and give them a chance to experience what I was never able to growing up. The sooner they're comfortable with them, the safer they'll be in the end.
  9. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

I started off with air rifles and paintball guns. Coming from Canadian suburbia, anything that went "bang" had a negative stigma so I wanted to see what the deal was. I joined the military and began collecting some of my own firearms. I have an interest in target shooting and practice regularly in the bush when it's warm.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Right on guys. It's good to see other countries where the people have the right to bear arms. From what Amdac is telling me though, Canada is pretty hard on handguns.
  11. Amdac

Ahh, I forgot to mention that I had a few pellet guns myself growing up, hidden from my parents of course.

It's not just pistols, it's all restricted weapons in general. That also includes AR-15s here as well as a bunch of others that also make no sense.
  12. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Yes, cause we all know an AR15 can fire 6000 rounds per minute, and pierce 42 inches of armor. They can also be converted to a fully automatic weapon with a toothpick and crayon. Oh, and passing laws against them negates the possibility of any criminal having them o_O
  13. Slacktrack

But... but... the AR15 is scary! It's what soldiers and bad guys use in movies. Aren't all assault rifles fully automatic baby killing weapons of mass destruction?

It's the same logic that allows lawmakers to believe that shootings won't happen if people don't have access to high-cap mags. "They can't possibly shoot up public places without 30 rounders! What? They can just reload the firearm?"
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  14. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Oh it gets much worse Slacktrack :eek: I saw a video where a politician was asked the question, "if you ban high capacity mags, how are you going to prevent crime with the many thousands that are already on the street?". Her answer was, "after they fire 30 rounds, the magazines will be gone and they won't have them."............REALLY! She was so ignorant about firearms, that she didn't know magazines can be reloaded! And this person is qualified to pass bills about firearms? How?
  15. Amdac

Please, please tell me where you saw that. I need a copy of that video. :D
  16. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I will try to find the link for you. I saw it quite a while ago, but I think there's also some tidbits of the conversation on a youtube video.
  17. Amdac

I found it:

All I can say is.... oh my god....

I just found another article where she made a statement clarifying that she meant to say "clips" are not reusable, yet they have nothing to do with the proposed ban and clips too can be reused.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  18. Slacktrack

That was a bit painful to watch. How can governments justify letting people with such little knowledge of a topic create the rules covering that area?
    CpXi7z1 likes this.
  19. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Watching that never gets old. Did you notice how people in the audience started to laugh? I would love to see the responses afterwards, and a close up of people's faces. Maybe I can find a link to the entire interview.
  20. swagger

swagger Rookie Shooter

I shot a sniper rifle at boyscout camp, instantly fell in love. Later joined the army, and still have a passion for firearms today.