Frustration to the Extreme!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Thomas, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I recently purchased a second hand race gun. It's basically a modified Colt 1911, with mount holes drilled for the red dot scope; a trigger job, and a suppressed match barrel. The gun shoots accurately, but has crap reliability.

The red dot scope will not hold it's zero. I am unwilling to spend a ton of money one a new red dot scope, so I purchased some adjustable rear sights. Now the sights won't fit, because the screw hole doesn't line up. This gun is turning out to be a lemon, and my basic gunsmithing skills are proving inadequate.
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Ah, man, what a pain in the neck. Its never fun when an otherwise good gun becomes a problem. With respect to the reliability issue, is it safe to assume you've tried different loads?

Most of the 1911 race guns aren't cheap to work on, so its hard to suggest a gunsmith. Alas, that might be where it ultimately has to go for tuning.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Yeah, I have tried different loads and different overall length on my reloads. The gun will not feed flat nose reliably, but it seems to handle round nosed well. Only 1 magazine will cycle the action properly however. I understand that race guns are built super tight for accuracy, but my Wilson is just as tight; and reliable. I have since ditched the red dot scope, and installed some adjustable target sights. Even that was a pain, because the screw holes didn't line up to the gun properly.