derringer pistol safety

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by titohunter, Jul 13, 2014.

1. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

The derringer pistol if im not mistaken doesn't have a trigger protector. What is that all about? Isn't that dangerous to have in your pocket? Are there a lot of accidents with this gun.
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Well the derringer pistol I think was around in the 1870's so safeties were not common. Even up to this day they had retained the original design without any changes. I think the cop derringer which has four rounds might have a safety but I do not know.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

It can be unsafe if you are in a rush I suppose. Guns are only as safe as their owners though.
  4. Profit5500

That is the most definite truth you need to be safe. That is why I prefer a gun that has a safety versus one that doesn't.
  5. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

Its seems like it would just go off if someone had it scrouging around in their purse. I don't know why they try to get women to lean towards these things. lol
  6. Profit5500

I think that maybe a .380 auto handgun would be fine for a purse. I do think the Ruger LC9 I think that is what the gun is called is a great purse gun.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The few derringers I've shot had small, push-button safeties on the side. Most, iirc, were hammer-block type.

The derringer is a class of handgun I've always wanted to like, but never could. The bad ones, and they are legion, are clunky, poorly made, totally inaccurate and have unbelievably heavy trigger pulls. The good ones are put together better and the trigger pulls are nicer, but they tend to be so large they negate the advantage of a derringer. And as pointed out by others, the sub-compact auto has kind of stole its thunder.
  8. Profit5500

Those sub-compact semi auto pistols are just more modern and reliable nowadays then the derringer. The derringer is a nice gun to pocket and go out with but its not as good as sub-compact pistols.
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Indeed. Years back, the little pocket autos were, with few exception, junk. Since the advent of CCW/CHL in virtually every state, there is a market for quality pocket guns, so we're finally seeing the niche really work. Heck, even Glock finally got into the .380 ACP game recently.
  10. Profit5500

Yeah I know that one is a great change in the gun market. Seeing a 380 ACP Glock weapon is a difference in their selection of guns. I just go with what gun is going to perform better in a defensive scenario as far as pocket autos are concerned. Then you have the states that are very apprehensive about CCW it just permits more criminals to have a joyride.