Being Misunderstood

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by thomas pendrake, Jul 31, 2014.

1. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

Like so many Americans, I have a moderate position on the gun rights discussion. My grandfather, father, myself, and both my sons are or were gun owners. I enjoy hunting. I have been in the military. I know people that I don't think should be allowed anywhere near a gun, much less be allowed to own weapons designed specifically to kill large numbers of people easily. I think that laws requiring that ownership of assault-type weapons be limited to people able to get a reasonable number of registered voters to vouch for them and accept responsibility if you go on a killing spree would be easy to craft and would be acceptable. Some people think that this makes me anti-gun. I was banned from one gun forum because the forum owner thought that a classroom full of children being murdered ( Sandy Hook) was a fair price for him to be able to own any kind of weapon he wanted.

I want to make it clear that I want myself , my children, my grand-children, and many generations to follow to be able to continue to own guns if they so choose. Some of my ancestors were prominent Quakers and I respect that way of life, as they respect ours. The greatest threat to gun rights in America comes from the extremists in the gun rights camp, people such as the late Timothy Mcveigh. The reason he set off that horrible bomb was because of his gun-rights extremism.

I know that this forum is open to gun moderates. I appreciate the value of an open mind, and am sorry that not every one has one.
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

What guns do you have in your home? What do you hunt when you are outdoors?
  3. thomas pendrake

I have a Ruger 22m, a Savage 300 my father gave me, a generic 22 rifle, and a Mossberg 500 410 gauge. What I usually hunt when outdoors is peace and quiet. When hunting game, it is usually rabbit, sguirrel, dove, quail, duck, geese, or deer. If I have a camera, I hunt ivory bills and panthers.
    Fox squirrel are nice. I actually prefer fishing to hunting.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

So you like to fish more than hunt I see that is understand. Hunting from what some people say could get boring. It bites more when you are hunting and you don't cath anything.
  5. thomas pendrake

Do you hunt or fish? Part of both is about being outdoors. I also like to eat what I harvest. I am not likely to fish for bonefish or tarpon. I love venison and wild duck or geese. Quail is tasty. When I lived in Tennessee there was a family who had two children who could eat nothing but squirrel. The could not even eat vegetables. Local hunters kept them fed. This seems like a bizarre set of allergies, but it was well documented. Somehow I have a hard time thinking of gun ownership without thinking of hunting. I have been in the military, and understand guns in that relationship, and can understand target shooting. But I cannot understand parents taking a year old to shoot a full automatic Uzi. That sounds like an activity sponsored by Boko Haram.