Anyone running suppressors?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by GearZ, Jan 20, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Howdy all. Suppressors (sometimes erroneously referred as silencers) are legal in most states, but you have to pay a $200 tax, complete a bunch of paperwork, and then wait months for approval.

I am considering picking up a .22LR can for quiet plinking and pest removal and, maybe, some type of centerfire pistol can (9mm or .45 ACP). Anyone have some recommendations on either? Thanks. :)
  2. swagger

swagger Rookie Shooter

I've always wanted to get a suppressor, but it seems like a lot of work to go through. Do you have to do all of this for each gun you'd want a suppressor for, or just once?
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The taxation and registration is for the suppressor, not the guns you want to put them on. The only exception to that would be integrally suppressed firearms (e.g., the suppressor is permanently attached). One could, say, buy a .22LR suppressor and put it on any .22 one has as need be.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I've always wanted a suppressor myself, but there don't seem to be any available in Ireland and I don't think they'd let it through customs either.
  5. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

If I could get one in Canada at all, I would pay any amount for a suppressor. Unfortunately though, it's not an option here.
  6. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I don't know how he did it but one of my mates has somehow gotten a suppressor through customs, its awesome and fits onto my WA2000 a treat, mind you though I would much rather hear the loud thunderclap like sound.