A question for the Canadians

Discussion in 'Machine Guns' started by Thomas, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Are you allowed to own a fully automatic weapon in Canada, under any circumstance? In the US, a person can get a license to purchase a fully auto weapon, but the background check is extensive and the process is expensive. Fully auto purchases also place you on a gun registry with the feds.
  2. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

The only people who are allowed fully automatic firearms are military and (I'm 95% positive) law enforcement. I'm not even sure how many LEO types have full auto firearms. If anything, it would be the tactical teams. There is a prohibited weapons license category which people are grandfathered into (ie you owned a firearm when it was made illegal to buy. You can keep your firearm but you can never transfer / sell it to someone else) but I don't see how anyone would have been able to hold on to fully auto guns. Just too scary to leave them in the hands of the unwashed masses, right? Amdac, you have anything to add to this?
  3. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Nope.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I have actually fired a few fully automatic weapons at the local range. They allow people to rent them and fire them on site. They do tend to be harder to control, but not so much that you can't hang on. I would actually say a person could do more damage with a semi auto AR15, due to the control factor.