9 mm and 1 scared chick

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by danimiranda, Oct 29, 2014.

1. danimiranda

danimiranda Rookie Shooter

The first gun I ever held was a 9 mm. The first gun I ever shot was a 9 mm. The first gun I ever fell in love with was a 9 mm. There is just something about the intensity of the pull back when you shoot and the impression it makes in your hands. This was my first time handling a firearm, but nothing after that ever compared.
    ally79 likes this.
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

It happens when its your first time using a gun. I think that when people are doing something for first time its normal to get nervous. I think that you just need to breath before you shoot and keep on shooting until you get complacent with your weapon.
  3. Rhoda DEttore

Rhoda DEttore Rookie Shooter

That is awesome. My first experience firing was with a 308. A bunch of us postal workers went to the range, and the owner closed it to the public. Unfortunately, people still expect us to go nuts. But it was really cool because most of my co-workers are former military so that day I was well trained.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The first centerfire I ever shot was also the first pistol at the age of nine years old. It was an Astra service pistol in 9mm.* My father cupped his hands around mine for extra safety. This was during the Cold War period and there were a lot of jitters about what could happen. Some of the Civil Defense-minded people, including my parents, were concerned about us knowing how to shoot arms in a nightmare situation. More than a little fearful, I grant, but that was a different time and place.

* I'm sure a few are scratching their heads at an Astra being utilized. My family is originally from Spain, so my father normally armed himself with Spanish automatics. Though later in life he got bit by the Glock bug.
  5. SS42A

SS42A Beginner Shooter

I first shot a gun when I was a cadet officer during my ROTC days in college. It's true that you do get scared the first time you fire a rifle. I nearly got scared when my M16 was set to auto and my superiors kept telling me that the settings were on auto. Fortunately I switched the rifle to semi-auto before shooting.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

That had to been a awesome experience to have fired that gun. I never went into the ROTC so I never had that luxury of seeing what that was like. I thought of the m16 and always thought that it was a neat gun to fire along with the AK47. I hope I would get the chance to use those guns.
  7. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I am hoping that you meant comfortable and not complacent, since you should NEVER be complacent around guns. The first gun I ever fired was a Ruger SR9, and even though it is no longer my carry gun nothing else will ever compare to that first time. :)