500 mag tips

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by titohunter, Jul 10, 2014.

1. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

Is the 500 mag not a good option for home protection? I was told it will over penetrate and go through the walls. Is a mossberg or 870 a better option for firing inside a home? Is there a certain type of round that wouldn't over penetrate with a 500 mag?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Over penetration is required for any round to be lethal. Anything that won't penetrate interior walls would not have the penetration necessary for a reliable kill on an intruder.
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

If anything a mossberg would probably better for budget reasons. I think the 500 S&W cost like around $1200 and I think a box of 20 rounds is $40 so I would just go for a mossberg 870 for your buck. The recoil would be better with the mossberg 870 then the S&W 500 gun.
  4. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I agree with that. I imagine a pistol would be easier to move around a house with than shotguns and you wouldn't have to give up power with the 500. lol
  5. Profit5500

I would love to shoot the 500 someday at a firing range. The only issue with a 500 S&W would be recoil since its equivalent to a pump action shotgun.
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Are you talking about the .500 S&W Mag? It will undoubtedly stop an attacker as its ballistics match some old safari cartridges. Is it the optimum choice for home defense? I'd say not due to the cost (both the system and the ammo), the size (the revolvers are huge), the brutal recoil preventing follow ups, and the noise of firing one inside is close to stun grenade levels of sound.

Don't get me wrong, that was the only thing available, I'd take it. But there are more sensible choices available.
  7. Profit5500

Yes I am talking about the S&W 500 Mag that gun is what I would want to shoot someday. It is a huge gun that can take down that grizzly bear in one shot.
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Well, I'll say this, its a darn solid piece. Its almost cartoonishly large when hefted, but the ergonomics are nicely done. One thing is for sure, if you're packing that hand cannon, no one can say you didn't bring enough gun. ;)
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Speaking of the big .500, this video is too funny. Fellows first time behind the big boomer and: