.22 For Self Defense

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by Thomas, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Would you consider the .22 a feasible self defense weapon? While the round is pretty underpowered for such a task, the ability to rapidly fire would make a huge difference. Head shots may also be considerable easier. I do wonder how the law would view someone putting 20 shots in an intruder though.
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

While a .22LR will kill someone, it definitely wont be a quick death. It would work well against an unarmed intruder but I would never want to take a .22LR to a gun fight. You're almost guaranteed to take a few rounds yourself despite getting the first hit. I've read a few stories where home intruders have been shot with a .22LR numerous times, only to die a hundred meters down the street after they fled the home.

There are rounds that would increase potential damage and speed up the process such as CCI Velocitors if that were your only firearm though.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The .22LR wouldn't be my first pick for a defense caliber. It wouldn't be my tenth either. While certainly better than nothing, it simply isn't a proven fight stopper.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

My only thing is this, when I fire my Ruger pistol at the range; I can hit a 4 inch plate at 25 yards; rapid fire. A human head is 3 times the size, and self defense situations are 1/3rd that distance. One shot to the head; even with a .22, with put most people out. At the very least, they would be seriously disoriented. I guess you do have to consider the fear factor as will; you might be shaking.
  5. Amdac

I don't know about you, but I wont be standing still if you're pointing a gun at my head. The odds of landing a solid shot on a moving head before someone puts rounds into your torso aren't too likely.

Head shots for self defense are bad as a first shot.
  6. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget that you're going to be dealing with a large amount of adrenaline in a self defence situation. Your fine motor skills will be affected greatly by this. That's why cops and military train for center of mass shots. Rather than relying on a best case scenario head shot, I'd rather take a machete over a .22 for self defence.
  7. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Rookie Shooter

I don't think I would feel safe trusting my life in such a small round.. although it could probably kill someone there's a reason why people hunt with bigger rounds such as a .303 vs a .9mm Lol... I feel as though a 9mm would be the most trustworthy(most 9mm's have large round capacities, accurate, stopping power) but I would probably go .45 just because I think it's badass. Haha.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Good point; a .22 center mass would not be very effective. I don't know about the machete part though ;) Supposing you could remove the adrenaline factor though, a .22 head shot would do the trick.
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Sort of a tangential question; if you had to rely upon a .22LR-chambered firearm in an emergency, what would it be and why? I realize the odds of that are pretty slim if you have a well thought out battery, but it might be fun to kick around the idea.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

GearZ; I think I'd take my Ruger 22/45 for home defense. The primary reason I say this, is my ability to aim and shoot rapidly.
  11. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

To answer my own question:

If there were no restrictions regarding cost and red tape, the full-auto A180 or its less fun semi-automatic stablemate. :p

Now, more in the real world: I've enjoyed plinking with my wife's Walther P22 and have found it pretty reliable, so that would work in a pinch. For a long gun, it would be hard to go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 with good quality magazines.
  12. antoinebugleboy

antoinebugleboy Rookie Shooter

One hit with a .22 is better than 10 misses with a .50.

That being said, your ability to use the gun is more important than the gun itself, no? I can't hit worth a damn with a .45. I'm much better with a .22 than I am with a 9mm.

Knock on wood, I'll never have to know for sure...
  13. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I think this gun is a perfect defense gun, I often switch my optics from my WA2000 to this gun, the fact that you can feasibly put 20 or more bullets into an intruder though might just get you in a spot of bother though hehe.
  14. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Sorry for the tangent, but wowzer, a WA2000? Those are some very rare, very slick sniper rifles. I've never seen one in person. If I had to hazard a guess, that cost a pretty penny.
  15. dansmith

dansmith Rookie Shooter

The .22 is nice to shoot because it doesn't kick at all, but I'd use strictly as a training weapon, I definitely wouldn't use it for home defense, my personal favorite is the .40 because it also doesn't kick that much which makes it much more accurate and it has the pop to take down most would-be home invaders without much of an issue, even though I know a lot of people may say the .45 would be better because of it's superior stopping power, but the reduction in accuracy due to the increased kick is what turns me off to that one.
  16. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

While still not a first choice for a fighting pistol, how about a Ruger 22/45, with reflex sight, and a can. :D

17. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Beginner Shooter

Despite all the naysayers on the stopping power of the .22, consider for a moment that Delta Force Operators sometimes carry suppressed .22s for quick quiet kills. That being said, surprise headshots are much easier than self defense shots. Would a .22 be my first choice for self defense, if caliber was the only deciding factor? No, bit I'd rather have a .22 in hand than a .45 at home (or in another room). If I had to choose a .22 for self/home defense, though, I think I'd go for the P22 with some good hollow points. Also, A laser on the tac rail could make it a bit more intimidating in the dark.
  18. beardlesswonder

beardlesswonder Rookie Shooter

I wouldn't carry a 22 for self defense. There is no way that I would trust that a 22 in a self defense scenario would be effective. Other than a head-shot that has previously been mentioned. If that was the only caliper gun that I had available i would carry it...but I would also keep a large stick handy too.
  19. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

While a .22 wouldn't be my first choice a well placed shot will kill you just as dead as a larger caliber round. I don't remember the name of the study now, but one found that a majority of murders in one major city were committed with a .22.
  20. Amdac

Those numbers are due to the fact that the .22LR is the most common civilian owned caliber in the world.