12g Vs 20g for home defense questions.

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by MisoSushi, Nov 5, 2014.

1. MisoSushi

MisoSushi Rookie Shooter

Let me start off with I'm a small guy at 5'5 120 pounds. I tried my friends shotgun years ago, 12g, felt quite heavy, I don't remember the make. He showed me the proper way to brace it, and it wore the hell out of my shoulder. It's the only time I felt sore the next day after shooting. Some years have passed and I've gotten much more experience shooting, but haven't tried a shotgun since. I'd like to get a shotgun for home defense, and wonder if the 20 gauge would be comparable for that purpose. I also wonder if there are shotguns that have less kick based on their design and weight. As it stands my current go to for home defense would be a .357 revolver. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

At home defense ranges, its not going to matter a ton. Good loads are made for both, however its harder to find 00-buck in 20 in some places. Shotgun fit is going to matter quite a bit more than chambering. For whatever it is worth, my wife is of small stature (5'1") and she went with a Mossberg 500 Youth model in 20 and loves it. YMMV.

A good .357 Magnum wheelgun is plenty good for home defense and preparedness perhaps in my view. You can run everything from light .38 Spl loads up to the full-house .357 boomers. In a good platform (Ruger, Smith, etc.), it doesn't met much more reliable.
    ally79 likes this.
  3. MisoSushi

MisoSushi Rookie Shooter

I see the Mosseberg 500 run at a reasonable price, I'll keep my eye out for the youth model. I guess I have read up on the different varieties ammo loads come in. I have a bad (or good) feeling I'm going to be sucked into learning about reloading, something I've been putting off till I have more free time. Many thanks, given me some things to look into further.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I am glad to have helped. I've been meaning to get into to reloading since forever, but I just can't seem to make it happen time wise. As such, when making firearms purchases, I stick options that have factory loads available.
  5. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

GearZ, that is exactly what we got too. I am only 5 ft tall, so standard shotguns are heavy and bulky for me. I can shoot them, but I like my youth model a whole lot better! Plus, my kids will be able to use it when they get older as a starter shotgun.
  6. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I am glad to help. One other thing I will mention is that if recoil is an issue, you might consider a gas-operated semi-auto. They tend to "soak up" some of the felt recoil.
  7. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

Go buy a Mossberg 500 add m-4 style knox stock, a simple LED flashlight-mount (nothing fancy), pick up a few boxes of number 4 buck. Perfect home defense shot gun.

No substitutes.
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

+1 to the light mount. I think every defensive shotgun should be so setup. If its going down at night you need to see what you are about to shoot and, just as importantly, what is behind it.
    Jobenvy likes this.
  9. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

Agreed
    Got have a light that should ALWAYS be the first thing you buy for a home-defense shotgun. Problem is (and ive had this before) finding a good sturdy light mount. Never buy some plastic crap just because its cheap it will loosen up and slide around after a few rakes and shots. I like the good metal mounts with hefty bolts to lock that sucker down good and tight. After that any old LED light is fine, just make sure you got a good solid mount.
  10. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

Crap made a mistake on buck shot. Try #1 buck for home-defense. I read (some damn place) the FBI recommends that for home-defense. 1 buck is what i keep in my Remmy and mossy.